Elder Bean's Mission Scripture

Elder Bean's Mission Scripture:

Alma 26: 35

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Novembro 12, 2012 "Verdinho e vermeloho"

[We finally got Elder David’s long-awaited “blog” letters!  The more recent posts have been excerpts from his family letters.  So...the dates are going to be out of order, going back in time just a bit, while we get caught up.  Here’s Elder Bean’s blog letter dated Nov 12, 2012]

Title translation (best guess): the "greenie" [new missionary] is red [sunburned]!

How to even begin.  I’m finally in the field.  It doesn’t feel real (again like a dream), but don’t worry, my feet remind me constantly of the reality. J 
It is so great to be teaching, meeting, and helping REAL people.  The language... is hard right now, but each day is a little easier.  I’m already starting to teach just a little.  Mostly, I just try to pay attention and smile.  Baha!

This last week started off with saying goodbye (and singing “God Be With You”) to the sisters and elders from our district who are headed to Salvadore Sol and Victoria.  We six elders left then - got in our own van and went to the mission home for Sao Paulo Norte -  to spend the night, meet President Martins, and meet our companions the next day.  Foi Legal.  President Martins is a very intelligent and friendly man.  Ate lunch with him and Sister Martins.  She’s really sweet.  The missionaries that run the mission home counseled us to combine our essential stuff into one suitcase, ‘cause it’s apparently impossible to travel with two.  This was an ordeal.  But I felt grateful ‘cause there was a guy with three!  Baha! J
And now, my companion:  his name is Elder Petersen from Washington.  He’s super legal, likes to work hard, and is a great trainer.  We never speak English which has helped me a lot, and he puts up with all my questions.  I’m learning many things about what kind of missionary I want to be from him.  One day, it was super hot (I’m super sunburned!), my feet were killing (literally, I think they were trying to murder me), I was crazy for water (which is the most beautiful thing on the planet), and I wasn’t understanding a thing.  That night, I prayed I would feel better, learn more, and faster, and that we would be blessed.  Then, in companionship prayer, Elder Petersen only prayed for our investigators by name and prayed we could try harder to do better.  That was a wake-up call big time!! I was only thinking about myself.  He’s a great example of selflessness, patience, hope, and humility.  I’m so grateful he’s my trainer.  The church here is beautiful. On Fast Sunday, as soon as the bishop sat down, twenty people stood up and sat in the choir seats to bear their testimonies.  So cool.  The saints here are amazing

We only ever eat lunch (almoco), so that’s new, but I’ll be okay. J  We have a few baptisms for the future- muito legal-and life is simply great. 

I love being a missionary so much!!  I pray for ya’ll back home a lot.  Oh and btw, I’ll only receive letters every 2-3 weeks or so, so please be patient with responses.  J 
Sure love ya’ll.  Continue being awesome.
Love,
Elder David Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment