Elder Bean's Mission Scripture

Elder Bean's Mission Scripture:

Alma 26: 35

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Outubro 23, 2012 "Baby steps to the...Português?”


Missionarios leaving the CTM. Soon it will be Elder Bean's turn.


It’s happening peoples.  I’m learning Português.  I didn’t think it possible, but after sending our second batch of Brazilian roommates out into the field, I realize just how much I’m progressing.  Now, I’m sure in two weeks (Did you catch that?  Two weeks.) I’ll get a rude awakening to the reality of native fast-talking Português (just to make very clear, it’s two weeks.  That’s all.  Ahh!), but it’ll all be okay.  I’m doing well.  I’m understanding more and more every day as I force myself to constantly talk to Brazilian missionaries. J

Elder Bean with Elder J. Pereira

My district has really gotten even closer.  For one of our goals this week we had a compliment circle every night, and each companionship would get complimented by everyone else.  It was really nice, and also enlightening, because as I thought about the unique abilities each person had, I realized the traits I wanted to grow in and work on.  Another thing that was great was working with Irmao Ricardo this whole week.  He understands missionary work so well, and he constantly teaches us (all in Português) how to be better servants to the Lord and the people.  It’s gonna be hard to say goodbye to him.  Saying goodbye to my Brazilians this morning wasn’t too hard—I’m mostly excited for them.  And I want them to be able to succeed so much!  They’ll do great.  Especially Elder J. Pereira!  He was district leader for his district, so helpful to me, and was always just so happy about this gospel and the opportunity to serve!  He’s a great example.  He got sick a few days ago and asked for a priesthood blessing.  Another Brazilian gave it, but I stood in, and, oh my goodness, such a cool thing.  I learned that 1) God speaks and inspires men to speak in Português, and 2) whether it be English, Português or Finnish, the priesthood is the same and the eternal laws respect it the same in any tongue.  I also got to give a sister in my district a blessing of comfort.  Just simply put, God is good, and so trusting; He loves us and wants the best for us.

Last few tidbits of info for this week:  I got letters from Mom, Grandma, Miriam Blaser, Opie Arnold, Rosemary Merrill and Elder Matthew Woodruff.  Thank you so much!  I’m responding to y’all as fast as I can! J  Oh, I also was asked during our church meeting on Sunday to give a talk.  It was a great blessing to be able to give it in Português.  See? God is too good to all of us. J  Oh, it is wonderful to me.

Last thought—for my Band tribe:  Pay attention to the things you learned in Marching Band.  As you close your season, make it worth something, and be better.  I loved band because it provided me opportunities, in abundance, to change myself for the better.  And the lessons learned are applicable to every single part of your life. Here on the mission it is sadly obvious that there are “two bands on the field.”  Those that are digging in and progressing, and those that are doing less than their best.  The longer we go, the greater and more apparent the divide.  All y’all, prepare for life, prepare for missions, choose ye this day whom you will serve.  No regrets.  But...there will be regrets, so remember, “it’s never too late to be the way you wish you would’ve been.”  I love you all— I couldn’t ask for better family and friends.   J 
With my love and prayers, Elder David 

Elder Bean with missionary at the CTM!


Missionarios in front of the World Map.
 
   








No comments:

Post a Comment