Elder Bean's Mission Scripture

Elder Bean's Mission Scripture:

Alma 26: 35

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Outubro 30, 2012 "Of Progress, Proselyting and Pandemonium"

Oi, all!  Tudo bem?  Muito bom.  Vida aqui esta otimo! J
[Hi, all!  Everything well?  Very good.  Life here is great!]

Elder Bean with instuctor Irmao Ricardo and District 36-B
One more week ’til “o campo”—the field!  There is so much to do in this last week, it’s crazy.  It is such an exciting time for all of us!  I’m also feeling sad out district is going to have to say goodbye and go our separate ways, but I know God will bless them, cause, oh man, has He blessed me.  He will always support His servants.

This week there has been a HUGE growth in our understanding of the language.  As of today, we’re the oldest group here.  It’s weird to think that just “yesterday” I was eating my first lunch here as a Blue-dot, talking to the 8-Weekers and thinking, “There’s no way I’m going to do that.”  J  Ta da!  It’s legit.

So the best thing that happened this week was when we went proselyting yesterday.  I was so nervous and worried I wouldn’t understand, or that the people would hate me or my message feel fake, etc, etc.  But again!  God supports and sustains His servants.  My mouth and ears were opened and the Português just happened.  Tender mercy.  The CTM gives each missionary two copies of The Book of Mormon to hand out.  Elder Barton and I brought some extra copies we had purchased at the Distribution Center, so we went out with ten books, and with the Lord’s help were able to hand out eight of them.  So good.  Each time we talked to someone, it was special, and the Spirit guided.  It was so refreshing to do the real thing and not just a role play.  One thing that our instructor said that helped me be bold was, “Remember, this could be the only opportunity that person has to join the church, so talk to everyone, and don’t be timid.”  That got me pumped! J
Also, on average, the people who accepted The Book of Mormon and genuinely wanted to learn more were guys about my age.  It was cool bearing testimony to them of what I know and how it’s blessed me.  Ah, man, so cool.  One lady looked like she was going to cry when Elder Barton told her God loves her.  And for the first time ever (in Português), I was able to bear testimony that there is a God.  I realize, now, how two months of struggling, feeling incompetent, hard work and stress is worth a few moments on a hot afternoon. J  I’m so happy.  And I can’t wait for the field!  Proselyting confirmed to me that this is truly possible.  I mean, oh my gosh, I was preaching the gospel in Português to Brazilians yesterday!!!  Wow.  Can’t even say how great I feel.

Shout out this weeks goes to my wonderful mother for the letters she writes!  Uncle Mark, too.  Thank you so much. J

And now for the random stuff:  1) There are a lot of cockroaches here, but I think “Wall-e” cured me of any possible fear of them 2) I have been so tired, as of late, that I will fall asleep during choir practice.  This is amazing ’cause I do it while standing and singing.  Suffice it to say, it is a very scary sensation to wake up as you’re legs are giving out and you’re falling down.  BaHa.  Thankfully, I’ve not yet had an encounter with the floor. J   3) Two elders in our district like to ride the elevator to our room on the 6th floor at the end of the day.  Elder Barton and I have started racing them there, but using the stairs.  Oh my gosh, it is so funny as he and I scrabble up those seven flights of stairs as fast as we can!  And we usually win.  HaHa.  4) I did a few English fasts this week, and they were really helpful.  It makes the Portuguese more ingrained in my mind.  I don’t speak much, but I do speak.  And I speak enough for now.  5)  We only have one more week to try and help our “investigator” Evandro to be baptized.  Our date is set for this Saturday.  But we still have a few lessons we need to teach him.  Hopefully, it all works out.  We just need more time!

Hey, thank you for your prayers.  I definitely feel them.  The love is real!!!  Sure hope life is treating you well.  Life is hard, it’s supposed to be, but life is so good.  Continue in faith, continue to write, continue to love God and those around you.
’Til next letter (and I’ll be in the field!!!) J
Elder David Bean


No comments:

Post a Comment