Elder Bean's Mission Scripture

Elder Bean's Mission Scripture:

Alma 26: 35

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Dec 24, 2012 "Walking Through a Lake...with Elder 'Lake' "

Happy Christmas Eve! [a month late—slow mail, busy life, but it’s the thought that counts!]

So folks.  My new companheiro is Elder Lago.  His name in Portuguese (he is Brazilian) = “lake” in English.  Entao, for creativity’s sake, I’m going to liken everything in this letter to water.  Don’t think it’s creative?  Sue me! J So...

1) “Proselyting in Atlantis:” There has been so much rain!  The city has flooded practically every day.  We were literally walking with aqua up to our shins!  After a while, there’s no point in trying to use our umbrella.  But I love rain.  And I’ll take it over burning sun any day!  I dropped our cell phone, and we spent about five minutes chasing it down the street as it was washed away in the gutter!  J  But I was successful in retrieving it.

2) “The black lake:” Whooo-ee this week has been stressful!!  Like a 47 on a scale of one to five.  My companion doesn’t know the people or the area, so I’ve had to be the leader, and practically do/plan everything.  I don’t really feel like I know what I’m doing yet.  I’m...(wait for it...>) in the dark!  Ha!  Get it?!  Black lake, in the dark, hahaha.  Anyway, I am learning a lot through this stressful process, so it’s been good.

3) “Boiling water purifies:” Elder Lago speaks a little bit of every language and he pretends to shoot/blowup things as we walk.  Bao, Nick, Jared, and Clinton, let me tell you:  Don’t try this at home.  In a car, fine. But walking?  Really awkward.  This is a hard time, and the transition is hard, so I don’t feel like I’m doing my personal best, but then I remind myself:  I’m serving a mission.  I love God.  And He loves me.  So I trust it’ll get better.  Keep praying for us.

4) “A constant stream of letters:” Thank you Nick W, Nadine K, Sara B, the Kirkwood Family, and Sister D, Sister W, Sister R, and Sister C! J Y'all are great.

Elder Bean and Tifany Dec 22 2012
5) “Eu te Batizo:” I baptized my first living ordinance person!  In Portugues!  It was super special.  I, having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, baptized a 15 year old girl named Tifany.  A man, Fernando was baptized the same meeting. J  And the next day when we taught Tifany  again, she seemed more elevated, and way more focused spiritually.  Muito Legal.  This work is about changing people.  To be better/constantly improving.  Ah man!  The gospel is true!  J The effort to serve is all worth it.

6)”Behold I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of... Christmas:” Ha!  So, because it’s a zillion degrees here, it hasn’t felt much like Christmas until today!  J  The whole day today I felt holly jolly! It’s great.  I don’t know why, but I’m just happy!  I was singing Christmas songs on the way home. I’m also super excited to talk with my family tomorrow!  Oi!  Merry Christmas Eve everyone!  Tenha Um Feliz Natal!!! J
Love, Elder Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment