Elder Bean's Mission Scripture

Elder Bean's Mission Scripture:

Alma 26: 35

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Oct. 9, 2012 Dezoita (18) & Dezenove (19)!!!

Outubro 09, 2012 

Dezoito e Dezenove!!!   
Oh, my gosh.  Yes, I started to tear when the prophet announced the new ages permitted for missionary service J  So legit.  I was so happy/excited for all those that this change in policy could possibly affect!  Bao, Emily, Maren, Danny, Jared, Nick, Clinton—y’all better write me if this means you’re going out sooner or stuff!  J So crazy awesome.
It was a testimony to me that we have a living prophet who continues to receive guidance from God.  I’m so excited for this new, next, younger generation.  Prepare now!  J  So yeah.  The entire Conference session was probably the best thing ever!  So good, such great inspired instruction.  And Elder Holland is the man. 
So, this week has been another great one.  It started off by getting some amazing Brazilian candy (I decided to ask the store clerk what was good and she showed me all the good stuff, best of which are these toffees with passion-fruit cream in the middle... oh yeah), eating fish for dinner (anytime we get fish, I seriously consider bawling out of gratitude... haha okay I don’t, but it makes me really happy), and welcoming Elder Nelson Shawcroft here!  J  That is so cool that there are three friends of mine here.  Crazy awesome.  Thank you, as always, to the wonderful letter writers!  It is THE BEST thing to receive and respond to ya’ll, so thanks Mom, Jonathan, Emily, and Parker Frost!  I really appreciate it. J
          My teachers are super good, the language is super hard, but coming (understanding is way harder than speaking for me, and vise-versa for my companion... we work well together), J and the meatloaf is super dense!  Ohhh my gosh!  J  haha.  Our district is progressing and I keep starting deep gospel discussions which is SO great!  We all become uplifted.  My companion is great.  Sometimes it’s hard to accept his criticism, but as I try to humble myself and look inward, I’m grateful for his desire to help.  He is a great example of courage and humility himself, and it’s great to learn from him.  We both taught a GREAT TRC this week!  One of our “investigators” was Elder Mike Oaks! J  We did really well and felt exactly where the lesson should go.  The only criticism our instructor could give us was “Elder Bean, you said ver instead of vir!”  haha.  I said “Our purpose as missionaries was to help people to SEE Christ,” instead of COME unto Christ.  J But yeah, it went very well.  And Elder Mike Oaks gave me some really good feedback.  Speaking of feedback, WE GOT NEW ROOMMATES!! J  Now, no one can fill the hole left by Elder C. Santos and Elder Arf da Silva etc, but these guys are way friendly and legit.  Elder Periera is from Sao Paulo and Elder Castillo is from Chile.  So we have one Brazilian, one Chilean, and four very confused gringos haha. J  But they’re really helping us with our Portuguese, and we help teach them a little English (by the way, if you need a good laugh, make a Brazilian try to say “Truthful squirrels!!!” J)  
I learned the first vision in Portuguese this week, got an interview with my Branch President, President Barreto, and we had perfect makings for the panini sandwiches we eat every morning for breakfast! J  So good.  Random piece of advice: “Never cease to be reliable!”  And, here’s a shout out to my awesome twin, who is starting her mission papers!  Love you!  And good luck!  Last thing that happened this week, on Monday, Irmao Viana taught this hard grammar lesson, but... I understood it!! J  It made me so happy and optimistic cause, it’s starting to click!  Haha. I guess, though, I got a big head.  That evening, my district and I were “investigators” for Brazilian missionaries!  Super hard/intimidating, right?  Well, to make it worse, there were too many “investigators,” thus causing the instructor to pick ME to leave my struggling American comrades, and be in another room BY MYSELF! J  Yep.  I pretty much just accepted the shame, as I could hardly understand a thing, and they [the Brazilian missionaries] had had to repeat almost everything twice.  But it was more funny than depressing, haha!  Definitely a reality check, though. 
Hey, I know God loves us and helps us accomplish all our righteous endeavors.  J  May God be with you.
Love ya’ll much,
Elder David Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment